SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 6th 6:00pm-9:00pm
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7th 7:00pm-10:00pm
Tacoma Little Theatre is holding auditions for its production of GYPSY, directed by Chris Serface, with choreography by Lexi Barnett, and musical directon by Debra Leach.
Auditions will be held Sunday, November 6th and Monday, November 7th at Tacoma Little Theatre. Audition appointments will be set between the times of 6:00pm-9:00pm on Sunday and 7:00pm-10:00pm on Monday. Callbacks will be held on Wednesday, November 9th.
To schedule an appointment, please call or email Tacoma Little Theatre.
Please prepare a monologue 1-2 minutes in length, and one song form the Golden Era of Broadway. An accompanist will be provided.
A crowning achievement in American musical theatre, Gypsy tells the story of Mama Rose, the ultimate stage mother, and her hopes and dreams for her daughters, June and Louise. As the lights of Vaudeville are dimming, Louise steps into the spotlight as Gypsy Rose Lee and rises to become one of the most famed burlesque performers of all time. Just like Mama Rose, Gypsy is brassy, bold, and sexy.
GYPSY will perform March 10-April 2, 2017
All roles are available and all ethnicities are encouraged to audition.
• Momma Rose (ages from 35 - 50) The ultimate stage mother. Lives her life vicariously through her two daughters, whom she's put into show business. She is loud, brash, pushy and single-minded, but at times can be doting and charming. She is holding down demons of her own that she is afraid to face. Her voice is the ultimate powerful Broadway belt. Minimal dance but must move well. Comic timing a must. Strong Mezzo/Alto with good low notes and belt.
• Baby June (about 10) is a Shirley Temple-like up-and-coming vaudeville star, and Madam Rose's youngest daughter. Her onstage demeanor is sugary-sweet, cute, precocious and adorable to the nth degree. An adorable character - Mama Rose's shining star. Strong child singer, strong dancer and taps. Mezzo.
• Young Louise (about 12) She should look a couple years older than Baby June. She is Madam Rose's brow-beaten oldest daughter, and has always played second fiddle to her baby sister. She is shy, awkward, a little sad and subdued; she doesn't have the confidence of her sister. Strong acting skills needed. The character always dances slightly out of step but the actress playing this part must be able to dance. Mezzo singer.
• Herbie (about 30-50) agent for Rose's children and Rose's boyfriend and a possible husband number 4. He has a heart of gold but also has the power to defend the people he loves with strength. Minimum dance. A Baritone, sings in one group number, two duets and trio with Rose and Louise. Strong acting role.
• Dainty June (16-24) Baby June as a young teenager. The older she gets, the less she enjoys being her mother's trained monkey. Strong Alto, must be able to belt a song and have decent dancing skills. The ability to do the splits and twirl a baton a big plus, but not a requirement. Must dance very well, taps, strong Broadway teen singer, close harmony skills preferred.
• Louise/Gypsy Rose Lee (18 - 25) Baby Louise as a teenager, who grows up to be Gypsy Rose Lee. Still pushed aside by Madam Rose in favor of June, until she herself becomes her mother's new pet project. Should be able to move well. Actress must be 18 or over to play this role. Minimum actual dance but must have very strong movement skills, strong acting skills needed. Must be able to portray both the awkward teen and a sophisticated woman we know now as Gypsy Rose Lee. Must dance inside a dancing cow costume, must be comfortable with the character's profession - stripping. The character is very scantily clad but never actual appears in the nude. Mezzo (needs light sound for "little Lamb" and belt for "Let Me Entertain You."
• Dressy Tessie Tura (20s-40s) a stripper just past her prime. Big Broadway voice (Mezzo Belt), strong movement/dance, ballet training helpful. A burlesque dancer that shares her dressing room with Louise. She was once a ballerina and still has some of the moves. A coarse broad who's been around the block. Very funny.
• Mazeppa (20s-40s) a stripper just past her prime. Big Broadway voice (Alto Belt), strong movement/dance, powerful character. A burlesque dancer who's tough and physically intimidating. Trumpet playing skills would be outstanding but not required.
• Electra (20s-40s) a stripper just past her prime. Big Broadway voice (Mezzo Belt), strong movement/dance. Quieter than her counterparts but her costume is wired with lights, allowing her to "shine" without working up a sweat. Ditzy and sweet.
• Cratchitt (any age over 20) the production assistant for the Grantzinger theater, N.Y.C. The comedic role.
• Children's Ensemble (ages 10 -12) Two or three young boys and one young girl. Baby June's back up dancers and singers. Ability of one child to play accordion or clarinet a plus. Must sing and dance.
• Young Women's Ensemble (ages 20 - 30) singer/dancers who act as both the back up dancers for Louise/Gypsy Rose Lee and perform in the large burlesque numbers in the second act. Strong dancers. Some comic skills very helpful. Very minimal singing. A few have minor expanded roles.
• Agnes (20-30) one of the women's dancing chorus, strong comic skills required.
• Young Men's Ensemble (ages 16 -20) Six young men sing and dance backup for teenage June, plus join in the number "Have an Eggroll, Mr. Goldstone." Should be strong singers and dancers. Will double as small parts in Act I and Act II, plus some backup dancing in Gypsy's strip routine. Must be very strong dancers and singers. Comic time preferred.
• Tulsa (age 17 - 20) Boy-next-door type. Strives to break out of the troupe with an act of his own. Sings and dances "All I Need Is the Girl." Extremely strong dancer in all styles of show dance including tap. Good singer, charming, very athletic and handsome young man. High Baritone.
• Kringelin (adult male character over 35) the put upon manager of a hotel.
• Mr. Goldstone (any age over 30) Booking agent for the Orpheum Theater Circuit. Chaplin-like skills a must never speaks.
• Cigar (adult male, age 30-50) rather aggressive owner of a burlesque theatre, Classic character part.
• Pastey (any age) Cigar's stage manager.
• Chowsie A small dog (with a good temperament).